Well folks, as some of you (most of you seem not concerned) will know, Scomo and everyone's friend Peter Dutton have succeeded in getting balls-less Labor support to pass the new encryption bill into law sans-amendments. Labor will trust the govt's undertaking they'll "have a look" at the amendments next year. Sure. And pigs fly.
If you don't know what the new law is about and how it will affect you using encrypted messaging and other private stuff, then don't worry because you don't give a shit anyway. For others, consider this scenario under the new law:
- Aust feds force five Apple engineers to build a phone update to infect some bad character's iphone so the feds can monitor everything the dude's doing and saying.
- Russian mafia guys visit said engineers at home, offer them 10 mill each, alternatively threaten to blow up their kids, wives and pets. Unless they share the secret how to infect iphones. They may make good with threir threats with one of them just to pull the others into line
- Russian mafia has new cracking software and infects 5 mill iphones and steals internet banking logins. Imagine the rest for yourself
- Will you know? The Apply engineers are not allowed to tell you by law. The feds are not allowed to admit it by law. You are not allowed to tell anyone you've been compromised because you're breaking the law and can go to jail for 10 year.
- Russian mafia has new tool. Many more to come into their inventory.
And hey, what about the crooked coppers and feds and agents who can be compromised by few thousand dollars baksheesh or threats to their families?
Thank you Scomo and everyone's mate Dutton, bless you. God willing (hey! I didn't say that in Arabic!) they'll get kicked out in May. Alas, balls-less Bill Shorten won't change anything, just watch.
Time to get off the internet. Off the phones. Go back to nature. Smoke signals and carrier pidgenons?